Hairstyles

Hairstyles

Monday, September 23, 2013

They Say imitation is the best form of flattery.




As many of us embrace out roots and allow our hair to be a manifestation of who we truly are. Natural hair has become a trend that has begun to cross all barriers. When I went natural in 2001, I was looked upon as a rebel. I was thought to be deep and an activist, when in fact I was just tired of perming my hair and I wanted to understand what my hair was! We are now met with images in the media depicting natural hair as beautiful, but I was taken aback to see that instead of going to the salon to get the natural kinks and curls removed from the hair, there were people going to the salon to add them.



Asian have always enjoyed the American culture and have often chosen some of our hottest trends to mimic in their everyday lives, but changing your hair in order to grow an Afro, or rock braids, is a hot new trend that has taken over. Because Asian hair grows naturally straight, the afro perm gives the hair a textured look. The afro perm is not an actual relaxer or perm kit, it's the use of perm rods to make the hair curly. The beautydepot.com says, "An afro perm is made by not straightening the hair. It is made by creating hair bonds that make the hair curl. The hair stylist makes the hair into a new shape, using perming rods or rollers, and allows the new shape to develop."





This trend for the Asian community is actually my life, something that I can’t change, am I flattered or am I disturbed? As I go through countless pictures, I am a bit amused and can understand why they would want to display the natural hair styles. The styles are cute and spunky!  As our communities begin to embrace our hair in its natural state, can we embrace ourselves?  I ponder over the pictures and begin to feel a scene of pride that finally, someone wants hair that looks like mine. Now there are afro wigs and kinky curls pieces that are selling like hot cakes. It’s a celebration of natural hair. I think that I can accept that!









As natural hair begin to be depicted as professional, exciting and even sexy, this gives everyone a chance to embrace their hair. It really makes me happy when I see a Latina with her tight curls or a sister with big gorgeous curls or sister locks, standing next to a girl with an Afro. These are the images that I see everyday hair in its natural state. So I am excited to be imitated and depicted as being the hair that everyone wants!



No comments:

Post a Comment