Hairstyles

Hairstyles

Friday, April 25, 2014

To cut or not to cut.





“I am growing out my hair, so why would I cut it?” those were my thoughts as I worked so hard at growing my hair.  It was such "a thing" when I relaxed to get the ends cut ever 6-8 weeks.  I would watch my hair grow, only to have it snipped right back off by my hairdresser. When I went natural, I followed those same principles. But as I began to read through blogs and forums, I realized that if I didn’t have split ends or damaged hair, then what was the point of clipping my ends, so for three years I just let it grow,  My hair grew long and big, and while I was not really doing much to damage my hair, I had quite a bit of split ends. When I braided my hair the braids were thick at the top and slender at the bottom.  I never was able to wear a “fro”, because my ends were jagged and thin. What is the point of having long hair if it is not healthy? So slowly I began to cut my ends.



 My hair was Jagged with uneven hairs 1/13/14.

The first time I took ¼” off. Then the next month, I took 1” off. 
This is the next cut 2/9/14

As I began to see how healthy my hair looked, I shaped my hair, taking a total 2” off.  




 Now when I do my hair I have no small break offs in the sink or in my hands. And I was able to wear my fro and let it blow in the wind!

Only cut your hair when it is needed,  here are some clues that it’s time for a trim.
-when you see hair shedding that is broken off pieces versus full pieces of hair.
-Your braids are thick at the root and thin at the ends
-Your hair will not grow and stays the same length.
-you have uneven jagged edges

No comments:

Post a Comment